Thursday, February 13, 2014

Thai Green Mango Salad Recipe


 It was a bolt out of the blue day for me when I saw three (3) pieces of fresh green mangoes inside my unlocked compartment with message written on a piece of tissue paper. No name was indicated of where it came from, however my name is there. For some obvious logical thinking, I concluded its definitely mine. But still I went inside our office room to ask my group. "Who gave me the mangoes? I was like talking to nobody, for no one responded even the person whom I strongly feel and knew might be the culprit of giving such things to our team. Rissa, one of my groupmates secretly glanced to this person as if she was pointing to me the one who gave me the mangoes. Then, I looked at her and smiled. I guess that was enough to thank her than being presumptuous. So I pulled up my chair, sat, logged-in and started taking calls. The whole eight (8) hours of shift was a bit tedious. The ambiance was so humorless despite the upcoming Valentines Day though some are still excited to go home to spend the day with their special someone. 


 
At the lobby while I was holding the mangoes inside the paper bag, about to press the biometrics I was thinking then of what am I going to do this Cupid's month. So I decided to go home and do something else rather than scouting places to celebrate heart's day. Ever since I launched this new food blog, I haven't  really posted a recipe yet. So I grabbed my camera and began taking photos of the mangoes and started creating something that everyone can do at home. As what I've said, I wanna make recipes that are simple, affordable and nutritiously healthy. The primary ingredients are a dime a dozen and matches your taste buds. 

The recipe was actually from a friend who taught me about Thai foods and their cultures. The reason why I learned some basic Thai phrases like (sà-wàt-dee kráp/kâ) which means Good morning/evening. The dish is known in Thailand language as "Som Tum Mamuang" or the Thai Green Mango Salad.

   



Ingredients:
  • 1 garlic clove peeled
  • 2 tablespoon fish sauce, plus more to taste
  • 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus more to taste 
  • 1  raw long bean cut into 2 inches length 
  • 4 shallots peeled and sliced thinly
  • 1  tablespoon sugar or honey solution
  • 2-3 green mangoes, peeled, pitted, and cut into thin strips 
  • 2 cherry tomatoes halved
  • 1 /4 cup dried shrimps 
  •  2 tablespoon toasted chopped peanuts
  • 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
  • coriander/cilantro leaves for garnishing 

Directions
In a large bowl whisk together  garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, beans, shallots, and sugar until sugar dissolves.  Add green mangoes, tomatoes, dried shrimps then top with peanuts and red-pepper flakes.Toss to coat evenly. Garnish coriander/cilantro leaves. Transfer to serving plate and enjoy. 

For the calories per ingredient please click HERE 

No comments:

Post a Comment